Pizza Poll!

Started by Malcolm Adeyemi, March 07, 2017, 03:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judith Eastman

Academy Civilian Instructor

"I promised, but I never promised to keep the promise" - Levi Eshkol

Jeric Th'Zan

Kirok

You know that bringing a pineapple to someone home is generally considered a great gift.

Thus, pinapple coved pizza would also be considered a great gift!

Species:  Betazoid/Vulcan.
Being kind to others costs nothing & builds a stronger community.

Judith Eastman

Quote from: Kirok on October 11, 2018, 10:01:22 PM

You know that bringing a pineapple to someone home is generally considered a great gift.

Thus, pinapple coved pizza would also be considered a great gift!

No. That's not really how it works.

Good + good does not always equal good. Take, for example, a pie and a hug. A pie is good, a hug is good, but hugging someone while holding a pie is bad.
The same goes for pineapple and pizza.

Angelique Delacroix

Quote from: Kirok on October 09, 2018, 06:19:58 PM

Current poll results
41 pineapple
38 not

I say that the pineapple group wins!

You are technically correct, that in this particular poll, "yes" got more votes than "not".

However, I have firmly established that a pizza with pineapple on it, is no longer a pizza. This is referred to as a Type 1 error in statistics. The null hypothesis is falsely rejected. This empirical study was operating under the false premise that pineapple is a valid choice as a pizza topping. As this has been proofed to be untrue, we must, therefore, accept the null hypothesis and say that pineapple does not belong on a pizza.

To avoid such mistakes in the future it is advised to conduct a full literature review, before making a hypothesis.

Alexander Wu

Quote from: Judy Eastman on October 11, 2018, 10:04:20 PM

No. That's not really how it works.

Good + good does not always equal good. Take, for example, a pie and a hug. A pie is good, a hug is good, but hugging someone while holding a pie is bad.
The same goes for pineapple and pizza.

I dunno about that. Being hugged by someone holding a pie could be pretty great. And if it's the edible kind of pie, even better.
Quote from: Angelique Delacroix on October 12, 2018, 06:17:02 AM

To avoid such mistakes in the future it is advised to conduct a full literature review, before making a hypothesis.

Noone wants to read about pineapple on pizza. We want to eat pineapple on pizza. Your literature review has no power here!

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict." -MLK, Jr.

Tekin Nevir

Quote from: Angelique Delacroix on October 12, 2018, 06:17:02 AM

You are technically correct, that in this particular poll, "yes" got more votes than "not".

However, I have firmly established that a pizza with pineapple on it, is no longer a pizza. This is referred to as a Type 1 error in statistics. The null hypothesis is falsely rejected. This empirical study was operating under the false premise that pineapple is a valid choice as a pizza topping. As this has been proofed to be untrue, we must, therefore, accept the null hypothesis and say that pineapple does not belong on a pizza.

There is an error in the null hypothesis.  We must first look at what is defined as a pizza.  According to Miram Webster:

pizza
noun
piz·za | \ˈpēt-sə  \
: a dish made typically of flattened bread dough spread with a savory mixture usually including tomatoes and cheese and often other toppings and baked
— called also pizza pie

There is no where in that definition that specifically states what toppings are considered a pizza.  Therefore, using the encompassing reasoning method, the phrase "other toppings" by default does not exclude any item that can be considered a topping.  Which means now we must define a topping:

topping
noun
top·ping | \ˈtä-piŋ  \
1 : something that forms a top
especially : a garnish (such as a sauce, bread crumbs, or whipped cream) placed on top of a food for flavor or decoration
2 : the action of one that tops
3 : something removed by topping

This definition seems to suggest that any food item can be a topping on a pizza.

Jeric Th'Zan

Angelique Delacroix

Quote from: Alexander Wu on October 12, 2018, 10:59:13 AM

Noone wants to read about pineapple on pizza. We want to eat pineapple on pizza. Your literature review has no power here!

I will refute your statement by a proof by contradiction.
Let's assume that nobody wants to talk about pineapple on pizza.
This thread has 20 pages.
A contradiction. We have to conclude that our assumption was wrong.
QED

Quote from: Tekin Nevir on October 12, 2018, 02:30:32 PM

There is an error in the null hypothesis.  We must first look at what is defined as a pizza.  According to Miram Webster:

pizza
noun
piz·za | \ˈpēt-sə  \
: a dish made typically of flattened bread dough spread with a savory mixture usually including tomatoes and cheese and often other toppings and baked
— called also pizza pie

There is no where in that definition that specifically states what toppings are considered a pizza.  Therefore, using the encompassing reasoning method, the phrase "other toppings" by default does not exclude any item that can be considered a topping.  Which means now we must define a topping:

topping
noun
top·ping | \ˈtä-piŋ  \
1 : something that forms a top
especially : a garnish (such as a sauce, bread crumbs, or whipped cream) placed on top of a food for flavor or decoration
2 : the action of one that tops
3 : something removed by topping

This definition seems to suggest that any food item can be a topping on a pizza.

Firstly, I would like to point out the rampant plagiarism used in your method of proof. It is an exact copy of my method; Without credit.

Secondly, the conjecture that the Merriam Webster dictionary is more credible than the Oxford English dictionary is simply outrageous. (The Guardian, 2016)

Thirdly, SpongeBob lives in a pineapple. Do you really want to jeopardise the survival of ocean sponges for your own pleasure? Destroy their houses? Their homes? What kind of monster are you?

Kirok

Quote from: Alexander Wu on October 12, 2018, 10:59:13 AM

I dunno about that. Being hugged by someone holding a pie could be pretty great. And if it's the edible kind of pie, even better.

I agree with Al.
Pie = Good
Hug = Good
Pie + Hug = Good
The logic is sound!

Judith Eastman

Quote from: Kirok on October 12, 2018, 06:45:16 PM

I agree with Al.
Pie = Good
Hug = Good
Pie + Hug = Good
The logic is sound!

But is it good when the pie is smeared all over you because of the hug? Is it really? Wouldn't you prefer to keep the pie and the hug separated, so that you don't end up with pie on your shirt where it can't be eaten?

Jeric Th'Zan

Judith Eastman

Quote from: Jeric Th'Zan on October 12, 2018, 06:57:32 PM

The sun rises in the east, Jeric tries to rule by decibels... it's just another day.

Kirok

Quote from: Judy Eastman on October 12, 2018, 07:01:30 PM

The sun rises in the east, Jeric tries to rule by decibels... it's just another day.

But he does make nice artwork.

I was partially impressed by this:

Quote from: Jeric Th'Zan on October 11, 2018, 08:40:25 PM

Judith Eastman

Quote from: Kirok on October 12, 2018, 07:43:45 PM

But he does make nice artwork.

I was partially impressed by this:

I believe he finds it using google

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made production intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.