Who has the best chili? And what ist the recipe?

Started by Kirok, August 27, 2018, 05:33:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirok

Folks,

So her is another food related topic.

Who makes the best chili?

What is the secret ingredient that makes it great?

Just curious,

Kirok

Species:  Betazoid/Vulcan.
Being kind to others costs nothing & builds a stronger community.

Chris Taylor

"Insufficient facts always invite danger."

Naira

The secret is slowly cooking it and eating it the next day.

Kirok

Julia Rellek

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan

Rayek trLhoell

Mrht Heis'he ehl'ein qiuu
Rayek's BIO : Romulan male. 6'1" (1.8m)

Kirok

Naira

Quote from: Rayek trLhoell on August 30, 2018, 04:41:37 AM

ground moose is so far my fav way better than beef.

I've never had ground moose. I've tried moose jerky, but never fresh moose. However, I don't live anywhere near live moose so at best it would probably have been frozen beforehand.

Djann Tempest

I love myself a good deer chili but this applies to any meat I've used!

I use black, pinto and sometimes garbanzo for the beans if I'm feeling crazy.

Depending on what heat level you're wanting I would suggest a few different peppers. I love a lot of spice so I suggest 2-5 habaneros washed and diced along with some chipotle or sun dried/roasted red peppers. If you're wanting something a little less spicy I'd do an Anaheim or Serrano pepper instead of the habanero but keep the chipotles in addition! If I'm feeling real fancy I'll pan sear onion, cilantro and the peppers before adding them to the slow cooker! I'm from the Midwest so some corn is a common additive around fall time.

Lyric McDaniels

I make a great chili using the slow cooker. It's always better the next day, or even days later once everything's had time to marinate and soak up all the spices.

Species: Changeling

If you could be anything you wanted, why wouldn't you choose to be happy?

Malcolm Adeyemi

I had to text my aunt for this one, and after cleaning up her spelling and grammar (how someone who is 60 years old can text like she's sixteen is beyond me) I got it:

Chop up 3-4 white onions, one red bell pepper, and one orange bell pepper. Brown with three pounds ground beef and two tablespoons of garlic. Drain half the fat away and dump the remaining fat, beef, and onions in crockpot which has been previously heating on low. Now toss in a tablespoon of paprika, two teaspoons cumin, a tablespoon each of dark chili powder and cayenne, and stir in until coated. Add in a handful of dried oregano, two bay leaves, and a handful of crushed red chili flakes or 3-5 dried habaneros (or a bhut jolokia or something if you live dangerously). Stir. Now add in two cans of tomato paste, a can of Italian style stewed chopped tomatoes, a can of Ro-Tel, a half cup of beer, and a cup of coffee. Add two teaspoons salt (for now, you can always add more) and a heap of fresh ground pepper. Stir. Put lid on crockpot and turn to high. Let sit for 4-6 hours. Serve with sour cream, shredded cheddar, and chopped green onion. Beer choices should be Red ale or an IPA.

Kirok

Quote from: Djann Tempest on August 31, 2018, 01:04:29 PM

I love myself a good deer chili but this applies to any meat I've used!

I use black, pinto and sometimes garbanzo for the beans if I'm feeling crazy.

Depending on what heat level you're wanting I would suggest a few different peppers. I love a lot of spice so I suggest 2-5 habaneros washed and diced along with some chipotle or sun dried/roasted red peppers. If you're wanting something a little less spicy I'd do an Anaheim or Serrano pepper instead of the habanero but keep the chipotles in addition! If I'm feeling real fancy I'll pan sear onion, cilantro and the peppers before adding them to the slow cooker! I'm from the Midwest so some corn is a common additive around fall time.

I'm from the Midwest too.  Corn is a new twist I had never heard of.

But it makes sense.

You use spaghetti or elbow noodles in it?

Quote from: Malcolm Adeyemi on August 31, 2018, 01:31:30 PM

I had to text my aunt for this one, and after cleaning up her spelling and grammar (how someone who is 60 years old can text like she's sixteen is beyond me) I got it:

Chop up 3-4 white onions, one red bell pepper, and one orange bell pepper. Brown with three pounds ground beef and two tablespoons of garlic. Drain half the fat away and dump the remaining fat, beef, and onions in crockpot which has been previously heating on low. Now toss in a tablespoon of paprika, two teaspoons cumin, a tablespoon each of dark chili powder and cayenne, and stir in until coated. Add in a handful of dried oregano, two bay leaves, and a handful of crushed red chili flakes or 3-5 dried habaneros (or a bhut jolokia or something if you live dangerously). Stir. Now add in two cans of tomato paste, a can of Italian style stewed chopped tomatoes, a can of Ro-Tel, a half cup of beer, and a cup of coffee. Add two teaspoons salt (for now, you can always add more) and a heap of fresh ground pepper. Stir. Put lid on crockpot and turn to high. Let sit for 4-6 hours. Serve with sour cream, shredded cheddar, and chopped green onion. Beer choices should be Red ale or an IPA.

really?  beer and coffee?

I have never heard of that?  It taste good?

Malcolm Adeyemi

Quote from: Kirok on August 31, 2018, 06:47:58 PM

I'm from the Midwest too.  Corn is a new twist I had never heard of.

But it makes sense.

You use spaghetti or elbow noodles in it?

really?  beer and coffee?

I have never heard of that?  It taste good?

Yes! You can use beer and coffee in a lot of recipes.

I've even used Dr. Pepper in a crockpot!

Lyric McDaniels

Quote from: Malcolm Adeyemi on August 31, 2018, 07:22:58 PM

Yes! You can use beer and coffee in a lot of recipes.

I've even used Dr. Pepper in a crockpot!

Was it a pulled pork recipe? I've seen Dr Pepper used like that before. Beer is best used for bread or brats, and coffee makes a great addition to chocolate cake or brownies, imo.

Species: Changeling

If you could be anything you wanted, why wouldn't you choose to be happy?

Malcolm Adeyemi

Quote from: Lyric McDaniels on August 31, 2018, 09:15:29 PM

Was it a pulled pork recipe? I've seen Dr Pepper used like that before. Beer is best used for bread or brats, and coffee makes a great addition to chocolate cake or brownies, imo.

Nope, a beef roast. But pulled pork sounds good too.

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made production intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.