Who has the best chili? And what ist the recipe?

Started by Kirok, August 27, 2018, 05:33:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Naira

Quote from: Malcolm Adeyemi on August 31, 2018, 07:22:58 PM

Yes! You can use beer and coffee in a lot of recipes.

I've even used Dr. Pepper in a crockpot!

Quote from: Lyric McDaniels on August 31, 2018, 09:15:29 PM

Was it a pulled pork recipe? I've seen Dr Pepper used like that before. Beer is best used for bread or brats, and coffee makes a great addition to chocolate cake or brownies, imo.

I use beer in several recipes and back when I used to drink soda, I'd frequently put a little of a dark soda (Dr Pepper, cola or a root beer) in the crockpot with a pot roast. It would create a flavorful and thick gravy when the syrup in the soda cooked down.
Quote from: Kirok on August 31, 2018, 06:47:58 PM

You use spaghetti or elbow noodles in it?

You put pasta in your chili? I've heard of people mixing chili in with mac and cheese, but not just putting pasta into a chili. 

Lyric McDaniels

Quote from: Naira on August 31, 2018, 09:40:38 PM

You put pasta in your chili? I've heard of people mixing chili in with mac and cheese, but not just putting pasta into a chili.

I've seen it with spaghetti in some Ohio restaurants. I think maybe Cincinnati? I confirmed with Kris, it is Cincinnati, and they call it Skyline Chili.

Species: Changeling

If you could be anything you wanted, why wouldn't you choose to be happy?

Malcolm Adeyemi

Quote from: Lyric McDaniels on August 31, 2018, 09:51:39 PM

I've seen it with spaghetti in some Ohio restaurants. I think maybe Cincinnati? I confirmed with Kris, it is Cincinnati, and they call it Skyline Chili.

Skyline is the restaurant where Macedonian immigrants originated the dish.

The dish itself is properly called "Cincinnati Chili."

#foodnerd

Lyric McDaniels

Quote from: Malcolm Adeyemi on August 31, 2018, 09:52:56 PM

#foodnerd

Kris is also a nerd so take it up with him :P

Species: Changeling

If you could be anything you wanted, why wouldn't you choose to be happy?

Kirok

Quote from: Malcolm Adeyemi on August 31, 2018, 09:52:56 PM

#foodnerd

I'm not a fan - but I know people who love it

Species:  Betazoid/Vulcan.
Being kind to others costs nothing & builds a stronger community.

Rayek trLhoell

Made chili today with hubby.. tried to sell him on trying the beer and coffee additions but he wouldn't go for it.  *sighs*  I tried.

Mrht Heis'he ehl'ein qiuu
Rayek's BIO : Romulan male. 6'1" (1.8m)

Kirok

Quote from: Rayek trLhoell on September 01, 2018, 11:07:57 PM

Made chili today with hubby.. tried to sell him on trying the beer and coffee additions but he wouldn't go for it.  *sighs*  I tried.

Yeah, I'm not sure how my taste buds would feel about the beer/coffee additions.

Naira

Quote from: Kirok on September 07, 2018, 05:28:33 PM

Yeah, I'm not sure how my taste buds would feel about the beer/coffee additions.

When you cook with alcohol, most of it burns off during the cooking process so there is little left in the final produce. It does leave some flavor behind but unless you knew that there was beer in the recipe, you likely wouldn't be able to identify it.

Last night I made a marinara sauce with some cranberry wine and none of the people eating with me were able to tell it was in there until I mentioned it to them and even then, they couldn't pick out the flavor being cranberry.

Malcolm Adeyemi

Quote from: Naira on September 07, 2018, 05:58:35 PM

When you cook with alcohol, most of it burns off during the cooking process so there is little left in the final produce. It does leave some flavor behind but unless you knew that there was beer in the recipe, you likely wouldn't be able to identify it.

Last night I made a marinara sauce with some cranberry wine and none of the people eating with me were able to tell it was in there until I mentioned it to them and even then, they couldn't pick out the flavor being cranberry.

So why cook with it? :P

Naira

Quote from: Malcolm Adeyemi on September 07, 2018, 06:43:46 PM

So why cook with it? :P

It adds some flavor to it. Also, sometimes when you start drinking before starting to cook dinner, it's tempting to add some it to the meal to see how it'd taste.

Kirok

It is said to add flavor.

I've had Co Au Vin made with brandy and could taste a difference - but no alcoholic after effects.

Malcolm Adeyemi

Quote from: Kirok on September 10, 2018, 07:20:35 PM

It is said to add flavor.

I've had Co Au Vin made with brandy and could taste a difference - but no alcoholic after effects.

I haven't eaten much French food but coq au vin and pot au feu sound amazing!

Related question: what if instead of "Netflix and chili" we did "Netflix and chili"?

Kirok

Quote from: Malcolm Adeyemi on September 10, 2018, 07:55:01 PM

I haven't eaten much French food but coq au vin and pot au feu sound amazing!

Related question: what if instead of "Netflix and chili" we did "Netflix and chili"?

I love most foods and have been able to visit lots of different foreign countries to taste the local cuisine.

But you could likely find a good coq au vin or pot au feu (which is basically beef stew) in your local french resteraunt - maybe even some escargo ;-)

And there are lots of recipes on the internet so that you can make it at home.

My newest food endevor is to make African Peanut Soup.  It is something I had in Africa years ago.  Something that I think I can pull togeher here.  I hope to make it in a few weeks - fingers crossed ;-)

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made production intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.