I See, I See (Judy/Stryker)

Started by Judith Eastman, December 31, 2018, 07:19:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judith Eastman

[Puzzles]

"Gerald is studying political science. My mother is a political consultant and politician, so she's aiming to bring him into the business," Judy explained. The highest office her mother had held was a seat in the New York State Senate, but she'd been involved in far higher levels of government, in fairly influential capacities.

"As for Lawrence, he dropped out of Starfleet's enlisted training program when he found out he was going to be a father," Judy said with just a hint of shame. "Sometimes, I can get him to do odd jobs around the station."

Academy Civilian Instructor

"I promised, but I never promised to keep the promise" - Levi Eshkol

Stryker

[Puzzles]

Sven was fortunate enough not to get anyone pregnant. He wondered if he should ask more questions. Judy seemed awfully ashamed of her son.

"I wonder why he would quit the program after he found out he had a baby on the way? It would make more sense to push through and secure a future for his family?"

Human male | Combat Engineer | 6'3" | 353 lbs | Profile | Character images

Judith Eastman

[Puzzles]

"Here's why: mommy's rich," Judy answered bluntly. "I have substantial means, so he assumed I'd fund him and his family. Suffice it to say, he was right."

Judy shook her head, as some regrets over her parenting came over her.
"Virtually every wealthy family has its messed-up children. My family has Lawrence."

Stryker

[Puzzles]

Sven's brows furrowed. He didn't grow up in a rich family. His father made sure he and his sister knew how to work.

"What kind of odd jobs?"
he inquired.

Judith Eastman

[Puzzles]

Judy brushed her hand through her hair. She always felt off when she discussed her failure of a son.
"He was the Promenade Santa, and he fills in when one of the business owners needs a hand. Sometimes, I even get him to act as a janitor in sickbay."

She shook her head. Truth be told, Lawrence was useless and she knew it.

Stryker

[Puzzles]

Sven noted the air of disappointment around Judy. He wondered if he should offer advice or something. His own father had a strong work ethic, and he instilled that in both he and his sister.

"Something my father said that's stuck with me is, that failure is a gift. Maybe it's time for him to experience it and the consequences of his choices rather then be shielded from it."

He shrugged his broad and tattooed shoulders.

Judith Eastman

[Puzzles]

Judy was willing to take Sven's listening and questioning, but she wasn't going to take parenting advice from a man, much less a man half her age.

"I'll parent my children as I see fit, thank you very much," she replied bitterly. "Once you get a child into a top college, you can start giving parenting advice."

Stryker

[Puzzles]

Sven shrugged.

"Considering that you have a son, which one might consider 'dead-beat' living in your basement actively reflects your parenting style. Still. Don't take my word for it. My dad was a hard ass so..."

He shrugged.

Judith Eastman

[Puzzles]

"Hold the criticism," Judy ordered, quiet but hoarse. "He was raised in the absence of a legitimate father-figure, in a household that was just barely holding together. Lawrence may have no work ethic, but he's faithful to his fiancee, respectful to his mother, and he's honest. Considering what I had to put up with when I raised him, I consider that a win. Remember, just because he was raised in a wealthy home, doesn't mean it was a healthy home. I don't criticize your father's parenting, so don't you dare criticize me."

Judy was hurt, outraged, defensive, and furious all at once. A wise man could see that a quick course change was needed for the sake of her self-control.

Stryker

[Puzzles]

Sven realized he had touched a nerve. He wasn't given an inch growing up. Expected to perform and perform it well. His father was hard. A good man, but hard, and woe to anyone that tried to double cross him. He found it strange that Judy put so much emphasis on money. His parents were able to retire and retire well, but they made it clear that he and his sister would have to accumulate their own wealth. Too many people were destroyed by the prospect of large sums of money, and Lawrence was a living example of that. He felt truly sorry for the man. And the single mother who raised him to the best of her ability.

"I took that too far. You had a rotten deal with that adulterous ex of yours, and having to raise your kids on your own must not have been easy." he said into his plate.

Judith Eastman

[Puzzles]

"It absolutely was not," Judy answered, still far from calm.
Then, she glanced at her wrist.
"I have a dental appointment in 15 minutes, so let's schedule your first subspace session now, and then I'll skedaddle," she said. "How's a week from now at 7 sound?"

Stryker

[Puzzles]

"I think that will work."

Judith Eastman

[Puzzles]

"Excellent!" Judy answered. "I'll call you then."

[Judy's (CMO) Office - a week later]

Even the casual observer could tell that Judy had recently exercised. Her face was still slightly red, there were a few beads of water on her, and she was wearing her teal uniform shirt without the jacket. She'd had a one-hour physical therapy session from 5:30 to 6:30, followed by a brief shower and light dinner, before returning to work for more meetings, calls, and paperwork. There truly was no rest for the wicked.

Now, she dialed her first patient of the evening, Sven, wih the hope that this session would go more normally than the last. Her large, horn-rimmed glasses sat on her forehead, holding back her loose hair, as she waited for the patient to answer.

Stryker

[Athena, Holodeck, Armburst Gym recreation, Wheat Ridge Colorado, circa 2019]

Sven was working hard, sweat was dripping down his face and his stringer was drenched. His watch beeped in.

"Subspace communication from Judy Eastman. Starbase Columbia"

Sven ignored it and continued on with his workout.

Judith Eastman

[Judy's Office]

Judy shook her head as she continued to wait on hold. Sven was really being ridiculous now.

However, she didn't have a chance to stay pissed, as she got a call from her stockbroker. She put that call on one screen, while waiting for Sven on the other.

"Helena, at this hour?" Judy questioned.
"I'm afraid so," answered Helena, the broker, aged about 30.
"The big markets are closed. What's the matter?" the concerned investor inquired.
"Remember that mutual fund you bought into last month? The transport fund? It went up 24%."
"Hot damn!"
"I just thought I should let you know."
"And this is the same fund you warned me against, isn't it, Helena?"
"I don't always get it right."
"Anyway, have you looked into taking some of my money out of the big pharmaceutical companies?"

If Sven were to answer, he could well pick up at least one end of this very distinctly moneyed back-and-forth.

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made production intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.