Re: Of Course It Hurts (Judy/Saya)

Started by Ozu Saya, January 14, 2019, 03:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ozu Saya

[Estate]

Indeed, Saya agreed mildly. I do not think you would be our best option to conduct an aquatic rescue. After she loaded up the sandwiches, Saya trotted to her room to get Alieth's harness and leash.

Kyo chuckled as he washed the few dishes he'd dirtied in making the sandwiches and asked, What are we taking for drink? Besides water, of course.

Vulcan-Bajoran Hybrid; 5'2"
Domen Kyo: Bajoran; 6'6"
George Hugo: Human; 6'6"
Eviess Aihai Annhw: Romulan-Human Hybrid; 5'

Judith Eastman

[Estate]

"I'm partial to bubbly white wines," Judy answered. "I definitely wouldn't mind bringing a bottle of something."

She stood up and took a few steps towards the front door.

"Could one of you leash the dogs?" she asked. "Bridge! Tunnel! Come here!"

She turned back to Saya and Kyo.
"Leashes are over in the shoe cabinet by the front door."

Academy Civilian Instructor

"I promised, but I never promised to keep the promise" - Levi Eshkol

Ozu Saya

[Estate]

You get the wine; I'll get the dogs? Saya questioned Kyo.

Yep, Kyo agreed, peeling off to return to the basement.

Saya retrieved the leashes and knelt to attach them to the dogs' collars as they leapt and tried to lick her face now that she was close to their level. Alieth got excited and started honking and trying to jump on her as well.

Kyo returned a moment later, bottle of wine in hand. Can I take one, or more, of them for you? he asked as Saya tried to separate the three leashes that had managed to become tangled.

Yes, just a moment, Saya answered as she managed to free one leash, which happened to belong to Bridge. She passed it to Kyo as she untangled the other two.

Judith Eastman

[Estate]

The corgis bounced about excitedly as Judy leaned against her cane, watching it all. It was fine for them to be excited, after all.

"I'll go get the cart over," she offered when Kyo returned, and then did just that.

Soon, Judy returned, going rather fast for a golf cart. The edges of her scarf flapped behind her as she did so, which she found to be rather satisfying.

"Your chariot awaits!" she called to the party inside.

Ozu Saya

[Estate]

When Judy called, Saya and Kyo made their way outside, Saya wrangling Alieth and Tunnel and Kyo carrying the bag of food and drinks and holding Bridge's leash.

Why don't you take the front with Judy? Kyo offered. I can go in the back with the pets.

Will you have enough leg room? Saya raised a concerned eyebrow.

I'll be fine. It's not that far. Kyo proceeded to nudge Bridge to jump into the second row of the golf cart.

Saya picked Alieth up and set her on the floor of the second row and urged Tunnel to also hop in.

Judith Eastman

[Estate]

The corgis both hopped on obediently. They loved going out on little adventures, always. It brought them joy.

"Well, let's go," Judy said once everyone seemed to be aboard. Then, she revved the engine and set off.

"We'll be taking the scenic route, to see the whole island," Judy then stated, ever the tour guide.

"If my memory serves me, this island was acquired by my great-great grandfather and namesake, Judah Eastman. He passed away when my mother was 8 months pregnant, so they named me with the female version of his name," she informed her guests. "As you can see, he had rather good taste in islands. The island is 400 meters long, 250 meters across at its widest point. As you can see from the area around us, almost all of the unbuilt areas are wooded. It's been continuously wooded since at least the 19th century, when my ancestors were still in Eastern Europe. The house, by the way, was built in the 20th century, but the Eastmans remodeled it pretty thoroughly back in the 23rd. We actually had no computer systems of any kind around until then."

Soon, with Judy's rather speedy driving, they were all the way back around at the pier.

Ozu Saya

[Estate]

Saya gripped the edge of the seat to prevent herself sliding around, but listened to Judy's narration about the history of the island with interest. Judy was good at catching her attention through her stories about places and people, even her family's history. Perhaps Saya found the family stories so interesting because of her own lack.

When they reached the pier, Kyo quickly disembarked and got all the animals out, stepping to Saya's side to help her step down and handing the leashes off to her. Then he shouldered the bag of food and went around to the driver's side to be there if Judy wanted or needed assistance getting out of the golf cart.

Judith Eastman

[Eastman Island -> Boat]

Judy, aided by her cane, had no issues at all getting out of the golf cart. Stopping the engine was a little more of an issue. Turning the key with her non-dominant hand was never fun, and the return of her "benign" tremors wasn't making it any easier.

"Just a sec," she told Kyo as she gripped her right forearm with her left hand, and then finally turned the key.

At last, using the cane, she hopped off.
"I wonder if I can get a golf cart designed for lefties," she mused as she walked onto the boat.

Ozu Saya

[Eastman Island --> Boat]

Kyo watched the process Judy went through with interest. Until that moment, he hadn't realized she was left-handed, though he'd gotten used to Saya's left-handedness.

And Saya was nodding vigorously in agreement with Judy's sentiment. Can we get anything designed for left-handers? It is quite ridiculous that I still have to do contortions to use some basic tools in my job because they are not made for either-handed or left-handed use.

Judith Eastman

[Boat]

Judy smiled. Finally, some understanding for her struggles.

"Oh, we do need more leftie tools in the world. Leftie scissors, leftie chicken-cutting scissors, leftie hair-cutting scissors. Lots of scissors, in general. And don't even get me started about how much easier right-handers have it with keyboards, the standard alphabet, and handshakes," she kvetched, unleashing 50 years of complaints. "Beyond that, I'm supposed to wear my class ring and my watch on my dominant hand. My watches used to wear out so much faster!"

Currently, her wristwatch sat defiantly on her right wrist. The class ring, however, rested on her left index finger, two fingers away from where a wedding ring once sat (and another, unbeknownst to her, would sit again in 4 short months).

Ozu Saya

[Boat]

Kyo stepped into the boat as Judy listed her litany of complaints about the lack of left-handed accommodations. As a right-handed person, he'd never thought about it much, but now he was curious. As Saya handed each pet across to him, Kyo thought about her instruments and asked, Do you play the cello left handed?

No, Saya shook her head. There was always a possibility of playing with an orchestra, and you can't play opposite-handed to the other instruments. And honestly, because I have always played right-handed, I'm simply used to it.

What about you, Judy? he asked as he helped Saya step up to the edge of the boat, then down inside. I realized I didn't pay any attention to how you held the guitar or ukulele last night.

Judith Eastman

[Boat]

"I can play with either hand," Judy replied. "I use right-handed guitars, because they're easier to find. For the most part, I just play them wrong, so to speak, when I go lefty."

She was far from the only musician to do so. The legendary guitarist Jimi Hendrix did fundamentally the same thing, but with more talent and at a much younger age.

"I'll be honest, it took me decades to get my righty playing up to par, and it still doesn't sound quite as good, but it helps to be adaptable. If only I could get that to work with my handwriting."

Judy then started the boat's motor, and headed towards the coast. She had the mouth of the Kennebec River in mind as a good fishing site.

Ozu Saya

[Boat]

Saya freed Alieth once they were all settled in the boat. The three-horn was small enough, and couldn't jump, that there was little worry of her escaping. The corgis, however, she kept on their leashes as then scampered about the boat, exploring.

Kyo chuckled as he helped corral them as they tried to get up on the sides and seats. Continuing their conversation about instruments, he asked, So you would play them, what, upside down? Does that work?

Judith Eastman

[Boat]

"Yeah, it works," Judy answered. "The strings are just in the opposite order to what they normally would be - the high string on the top side of the neck. Once you get used to it, it's pretty natural."

40 years down the road, Judy was very much used to it, to the point that playing a true lefty guitar required more conscious effort.

Ozu Saya

[Boat]

Interesting, Kyo responded. I'd like to see that some time. He looked around at the scenery as the boat motored along. Even with the chill in the air and the lateness of the season, there was still beauty in the natural elements that had persisted despite The modern cities and technology in the distance. Want me to start sorting out poles?

Saya was thankful for her warm coat as her face chilled in the wind, and she tucked her hands into her pockets with the corgis leashes around her wrists. Not for me, please. I will read and keep you two company.

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made production intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.