Mission 1.3 Discussion Thread

Started by Constance Lafayette, August 04, 2016, 06:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paige Wardropper

Tag Bridge/Lizzie

FYI on the medical technobabble:

While antiplatelet agents and anticoagulants prevent the formation of blood clots, they cannot dissolve existing blood clots and hence cannot be relied upon to open blocked arteries rapidly. Clot-dissolving drugs (also called fibrinolytic or thrombolytic medications) actually dissolve blood clots and can rapidly open blocked arteries. Intravenous administration of clot-dissolving drugs such as tissue plasminogen activator (TPA) or TNK can open up to 80% of acutely blocked coronary arteries. The earlier these drugs are administered, the greater the success at opening the artery and the more effective the preservation of heart muscle. If clot-dissolving drugs are given too late (more than 6 hours after the onset of the heart attack), most of the muscle damage already may have occurred.

Lizzie Vaughan

Quote from: Paige Wardropper on August 23, 2016, 01:59:11 PM

Tag Bridge/Lizzie

FYI on the medical technobabble:

While antiplatelet agents and anticoagulants prevent the formation of blood clots, they cannot dissolve existing blood clots and hence cannot be relied upon to open blocked arteries rapidly. Clot-dissolving drugs (also called fibrinolytic or thrombolytic medications) actually dissolve blood clots and can rapidly open blocked arteries. Intravenous administration of clot-dissolving drugs such as tissue plasminogen activator (TPA) or TNK can open up to 80% of acutely blocked coronary arteries. The earlier these drugs are administered, the greater the success at opening the artery and the more effective the preservation of heart muscle. If clot-dissolving drugs are given too late (more than 6 hours after the onset of the heart attack), most of the muscle damage already may have occurred.

Tag Paige and Vinny

Bio: Lizzie Vaughan Bio
Academy Medical Instructor
In Memorium.

Levinia Black

Terran (Human) - click banner for bio

Lizzie Vaughan

In Memorium.

Paige Wardropper

Lizzie Vaughan

In Memorium.

Paige Wardropper

Ezac

Never turn your back on a Breen.

Lizzie Vaughan

In Memorium.

Paige Wardropper

Tag Carter/Bridge crew

PS the 'Acids' file is actually a link to real data from the Nickel Development Institute and if you click it you'll find I'm not just making stuff up off the top of my head.

If you want the quick version this gives the info I quote about the metals that can be used.  My late father was an analytical chemist before he retrained to be an Art Teacher, he kinda drummed it into me to check my sources and never say anything in the Scientific field was 100% unless I'd checked it out.  Mind you, he quite correctly said that we'd only started scratching the surface of discovery and who knew what was out there even just on our own planet... we could live a thousand life times and never find out.

One of the many reasons I miss 'The Walking Encylopaedia and Living Footnote' as his friend nicknamed him, the brilliant conversations we had about this sort of thing!! :D

Levinia Black

Terran (Human) - click banner for bio

Lizzie Vaughan

In Memorium.

Malcolm Adeyemi

Lizzie Vaughan

In Memorium.

Catrin Maddux

Tell me your troubles and doubts. Giving me everything inside and out...

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made production intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.