S2 M6 - The Spaces Between Us

Started by Solluk, May 01, 2020, 01:26:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirok

Quote from: Rayek trLhoell on May 30, 2020, 12:56:59 PM

NPC Phara t'Movel
[Katra Station - Deck 18 - Arboretum]

"Since I don't know what a 'baby shower' involves I can't answer that." Phara responded.  "But it is a Romulan custom where the women closest to the mother gather together for the actual birth to assist her through the experience, bless the healthy child to the Elements and announce it's birth to all."

She looked over to Zex after the Deltan had finished the honey-dipped skewered gastropod. Her mouth was still slightly burning from the spices. "They are surprisingly good are they not?"

Apparently Phara was one of those that loved them at first bite.  She turned to Jada.  "Thank you for bringing these over."  She reached for a jumja-sap dipped skewer and proceeded to try that.

Zex turned slightly toward Tess when she asked about the Deltan's career move.  She didn't have a ready response up her sleeve.  So she though over the question for a second.

"As a coroner, I was limited to work in the sickbay.  So I hardly ever got to see much of the station or ship that I was stationed on.  I thought the career move would give me the opportunity to move about more.  Get involved with a wider  range of missions" she said.

"As a medical officer, I'm guessing that you can understand how I was feeling" she added.  "Now your turn.  What made you switch over to command?" she asked.

She followed the conversation about baby showers as it continued on.  "From what I know of baby showers, it was a party for the mother mostly before the child arrived.  To give her gifts to help her arrive for the arrival of the bundle of joy" she added.  "But it sounds like there are lots of options out there" she admitted.

She saw Phara using the dipping sauce and had considered using it next.  "Can you let me know how that tastes.  Is it sweet or spicy?" she asked.

Species:  Betazoid/Vulcan.
Being kind to others costs nothing & builds a stronger community.

Jada

[Arboretum, Deck 18]

Quote from: Zex on May 29, 2020, 06:33:14 PM

Then she turned back to Jada and listened to her story.  "I learn something new about Orion culture every time I talk with you" she said by way of praise.

But Jada just put on a theatrically fake look of being utterly ashamed. 'Oh, no, really? I'm supposed to be spreading misinformation and mystery.' Then again, maybe she was...
Quote from: Phara

Apparently Phara was one of those that loved them at first bite.  She turned to Jada.  "Thank you for bringing these over."  She reached for a jumja-sap dipped skewer and proceeded to try that.

Jada smiled, relieved. 'Oh, good, I'm glad people like them. We spent ages cleaning and cooking them, and they don't always go down so well.'
Quote from: Zex

She saw Phara using the dipping sauce and had considered using it next.  "Can you let me know how that tastes.  Is it sweet or spicy?" she asked.

As Zex hadn't been there when she'd first pointed them out, Jada said 'That one's Bajoran jumja sap. This one's xiqai-spiced honey. These ones are in fruit jelly. And in the jars, extra-sweet honey and super-hot-spiced live ones. These are just the desserts and snacks, there's bowls of curries and salads at the table.' She left the tray there for them to keep eating from.

Realising she'd been sitting here talking for a while and she still had more mouths to feed and people to greet and goodbye, Jada said 'Alright, I better get back on my rounds... If I don't see you again today, I want to wish you all good fortune and to stay safe and have fun. Happy hunting.'

But, before she left, she spoke privately with Tess, adding 'Tess... Congratulations again on the baby. I hope everything goes well. I wish I could be here to see Bub, but please send me a picture, okay?' she begged with a sad yet hopeful smile. 'And, you're XO now. So, please, don't let Solluk, tr'Lhoell, Saxon, and the rest just sit here in system and square up to defend against all-comers live we've been doing. Starfleet needs to do more than that. Get them to be proactive, to go out and explore and discover and meet people first. That's the only way to push back against the Outer Dark. And make sure they have fun once in a while.' Jada blinked; she wouldn't cry, but she did feel strained. Tess had been her only friend made on Katra, but sweet Tess was a friend to everybody. She hugged her again and kissed her cheek. 'Goodbye.'

After walking away, Jada recovered her composure and fetched a new tray and treats from s'Metra, a few bowls of curries and salads from Ngachi, and went back out to serve. Then she saw someone she'd almost figured wasn't coming. 'Want to eat some wing-slugs, John?' she said teasingly as she offered the tray to the old man, daring to use the given name in Orion custom now she was a civilian.

Academy Chief of the Boat  (Personnel File)

John Saxon

[Arboretum, Deck 18]

He saw her draw near, and with each step he steeled himself a little more inside. He had hoped to avoid this face-to-face encounter.; this time without the mad bug costume. Both of them had probably much to say to each other, and it would be unfortunate that it would be only now they found the moment to truly speak. But he also couldn't be sure the Orion would be able to resist the opportunity.

So, as she closed in, like the hunter she was, Saxon forced himself to relax. It would do them no good to be stand-offish today of all days.

As it was, she surprised him.

Quote from: Jada

'Want to eat some wing-slugs, John?' she said teasingly as she offered the tray to the old man, daring to use the given name in Orion custom now she was a civilian.

His eyebrows raised. Not that she had addressed him so casually - he had no problem with informality, and had once insisted upon it when she had joined his team - but rather that she had used his first name; until now, only Tess and Hrafn had ever done so.

Looking back at her, his face set in stone, he paused momentarily. For theatrics. Then broke into a gentle smile, gazing down at the proffered treats. Seasoned wing-slugs. That rang some dusty bells. Orion spices were somewhat...potent...but it had been some time since anything had moved his tastebuds beyond an idle ticking over. What he wasn't sure of was where the scale started, so instead he reached out and took one of each. He'd enjoy revisiting old culinary adventures. But probably not so much enjoy visiting Tess or Amarande with complaints of indigestion; tastebuds were one thing, stomach acid was quite another.

And with the other hand, realising a little too late she had the tray in both of hers to awkwardly retract it now, he extended into offering a handshake. "Jada" he said as softly as the background noise would allow. "Thank you for everything you've given to the service. To us all." And he meant it. Her style was not his style. He knew he was an old school soldier, a product of his many years. And despite his misgivings - if he were being charitable in using the term - she really had been an superb addition to the team.

He waited for her to respond to either the extended hand or his comments. He popped a random wing-slug and crunched.

So. Hottest first, then.

Tess tLhoell

Lt. Cmdr. Tess t'Lhoell (5 months pregnant)

Quote from: Rayek trLhoell on May 30, 2020, 12:56:59 PM

NPC Phara t'Movel

"Since I don't know what a 'baby shower' involves I can't answer that." Phara responded.  "But it is a Romulan custom where the women closest to the mother gather together for the actual birth to assist her through the experience, bless the healthy child to the Elements and announce it's birth to all."

She looked over to Zex after the Deltan had finished the honey-dipped skewered gastropod. Her mouth was still slightly burning from the spices. "They are surprisingly good are they not?"

Tess listened attentively as Phara explained the Hædl Aefvadh to her. She was so interested in Romulan culture and was glad that she had someone who could help her learn and understand it better, besides Rayek.

Without thinking much of it, Tess liked the idea instantly. "I love that", she smiled. "If it's possible, I would love to have a Hædl Aefvadh." She couldn't wait to tell Rayek about it.

Quote from: Zex on May 30, 2020, 04:11:56 PM

Zex turned slightly toward Tess when she asked about the Deltan's career move.  She didn't have a ready response up her sleeve.  So she though over the question for a second.

"As a coroner, I was limited to work in the sickbay.  So I hardly ever got to see much of the station or ship that I was stationed on.  I thought the career move would give me the opportunity to move about more.  Get involved with a wider  range of missions" she said.

"As a medical officer, I'm guessing that you can understand how I was feeling" she added.  "Now your turn.  What made you switch over to command?" she asked.

She followed the conversation about baby showers as it continued on.  "From what I know of baby showers, it was a party for the mother mostly before the child arrived.  To give her gifts to help her arrive for the arrival of the bundle of joy" she added.  "But it sounds like there are lots of options out there" she admitted.

At Zex' explanation what made her choose another path, Tess nodded. "I think I know what you mean", she smiled. However, she had not been prepared for the return of the same question. The Deltan officer only arrived when the Atrosian incident happened, so it was possible she wasn't really aware of what repercussions that mission had brought for some of them.

Tess' smile faltered a little bit although she tried her best to keep it up. It took her a moment to think of appropriate words. Really, she wanted to avoid casting a slur on her husband. She decided to keep it in a general way. "The position of XO became vacant ... and Captain Solluk approved of me taking over." She still hadn't come to terms with the whole scenario. But now was not the time she wanted to think about that. So she made sure to push the smile back on her face. "It never gets boring, I can tell you that."

On the topic of baby showers, Tess nodded. There seemed to be quite a difference between the Terran and Romulan events. "Yes, a baby shower is usually thrown before the birth of the baby and the mother receives gifts she can use and needs for when the baby is born", Tess added to Zex' explanation.

Quote from: Jada on May 30, 2020, 11:14:45 PM

[Arboretum, Deck 18]

But Jada just put on a theatrically fake look of being utterly ashamed. 'Oh, no, really? I'm supposed to be spreading misinformation and mystery.' Then again, maybe she was...

Jada smiled, relieved. 'Oh, good, I'm glad people like them. We spent ages cleaning and cooking them, and they don't always go down so well.'

As Zex hadn't been there when she'd first pointed them out, Jada said 'That one's Bajoran jumja sap. This one's xiqai-spiced honey. These ones are in fruit jelly. And in the jars, extra-sweet honey and super-hot-spiced live ones. These are just the desserts and snacks, there's bowls of curries and salads at the table.' She left the tray there for them to keep eating from.

Realising she'd been sitting here talking for a while and she still had more mouths to feed and people to greet and goodbye, Jada said 'Alright, I better get back on my rounds... If I don't see you again today, I want to wish you all good fortune and to stay safe and have fun. Happy hunting.'

But, before she left, she spoke privately with Tess, adding 'Tess... Congratulations again on the baby. I hope everything goes well. I wish I could be here to see Bub, but please send me a picture, okay?' she begged with a sad yet hopeful smile. 'And, you're XO now. So, please, don't let Solluk, tr'Lhoell, Saxon, and the rest just sit here in system and square up to defend against all-comers live we've been doing. Starfleet needs to do more than that. Get them to be proactive, to go out and explore and discover and meet people first. That's the only way to push back against the Outer Dark. And make sure they have fun once in a while.' Jada blinked; she wouldn't cry, but she did feel strained. Tess had been her only friend made on Katra, but sweet Tess was a friend to everybody. She hugged her again and kissed her cheek. 'Goodbye.'

After walking away, Jada recovered her composure and fetched a new tray and treats from s'Metra, a few bowls of curries and salads from Ngachi, and went back out to serve. Then she saw someone she'd almost figured wasn't coming. 'Want to eat some wing-slugs, John?' she said teasingly as she offered the tray to the old man, daring to use the given name in Orion custom now she was a civilian.

Jada's announcement to continue with her round - which meant she would leave now - had Tess look over to her. She got to her feet so she could say her goodbyes to the Orion properly.

Her private words to her and seeing Jada quite a bit emotional had Tess swallow down a small lump in her throat. When Jada congratulated her on the baby and asked her to send a pic, Tess nodded her head. "Thank you", she smiled. "I will definitely send you a pic of the little one. Together with the plush slug", she chuckled. Her next words had Tess listen to attentively. It was obvious it meant a lot to Jada and Tess blinked a few times when her eyes wetted. "I will keep that in mind, I promise." When Jada moved to hug her, Tess wrapped her arms around the Orion with a sad smile. "You take care of yourself, okay?", she whispered in her ear only for her to hear before she let go of her. Giving her another warm smile, Tess nodded. "Good-bye, Jada."

Quote from: John Saxon on May 30, 2020, 01:02:14 PM

[Arboretum, Deck 18]

The cacophony hit him before the colours and scents did. Saxon stood at the threshold of the Arboretum looking in, unsure whether he had made a mistake coming here after all. Still, the unmistakable aroma of food, despite being somewhat unfamiliar, was appealing. He dimly recalled the Orion cuisine many, many years ago (during that...unfortunate...time on some Orion colony world) but that was several decades and several tastebuds, ago. He barely recalled the details, but his subconscious didn't immediately recoil or disuade at the notion of eating it again so it can't have been that bad.

A growl in his stomach agreed, and he realised it had been more than half a day since he had eaten or drank anything.

So, bravely, he ventured further within.

Tess was just reaching for another honey dipped wing-slug when she spotted a familiar face in the crowd. He came here?? Honestly, she didn't really expect him to. But she was all the more happy to see him. Raising her hand, she was about to wave to the old soldier in invitation to join them here beneath the palm trees if he wanted, but then faltered when she saw Jada approaching him and talking to him.

Tess smiled and couldn't help but be a little nosy and observe the pair. It was known that their styles of duty had clashed extremely, but Tess would love to see a friendly goodbyes of them.

Species: Ba'ku
"You explore the universe. We've found that a single moment in time can be a universe in itself."
Tess' biography (updated Nov 14th, 2020) - Previous name: Tess Moreno

Kirok

Quote from: Tess tLhoell on May 31, 2020, 09:15:31 AM

Tess listened attentively as Phara explained the Hædl Aefvadh to her. She was so interested in Romulan culture and was glad that she had someone who could help her learn and understand it better, besides Rayek.

Without thinking much of it, Tess liked the idea instantly. "I love that", she smiled. "If it's possible, I would love to have a Hædl Aefvadh." She couldn't wait to tell Rayek about it.

At Zex' explanation what made her choose another path, Tess nodded. "I think I know what you mean", she smiled. However, she had not been prepared for the return of the same question. The Deltan officer only arrived when the Atrosian incident happened, so it was possible she wasn't really aware of what repercussions that mission had brought for some of them.

Tess' smile faltered a little bit although she tried her best to keep it up. It took her a moment to think of appropriate words. Really, she wanted to avoid casting a slur on her husband. She decided to keep it in a general way. "The position of XO became vacant ... and Captain Solluk approved of me taking over." She still hadn't come to terms with the whole scenario. But now was not the time she wanted to think about that. So she made sure to push the smile back on her face. "It never gets boring, I can tell you that."

On the topic of baby showers, Tess nodded. There seemed to be quite a difference between the Terran and Romulan events. "Yes, a baby shower is usually thrown before the birth of the baby and the mother receives gifts she can use and needs for when the baby is born", Tess added to Zex' explanation.

Jada's announcement to continue with her round - which meant she would leave now - had Tess look over to her. She got to her feet so she could say her goodbyes to the Orion properly.

Her private words to her and seeing Jada quite a bit emotional had Tess swallow down a small lump in her throat. When Jada congratulated her on the baby and asked her to send a pic, Tess nodded her head. "Thank you", she smiled. "I will definitely send you a pic of the little one. Together with the plush slug", she chuckled. Her next words had Tess listen to attentively. It was obvious it meant a lot to Jada and Tess blinked a few times when her eyes wetted. "I will keep that in mind, I promise." When Jada moved to hug her, Tess wrapped her arms around the Orion with a sad smile. "You take care of yourself, okay?", she whispered in her ear only for her to hear before she let go of her. Giving her another warm smile, Tess nodded. "Good-bye, Jada."

Tess was just reaching for another honey dipped wing-slug when she spotted a familiar face in the crowd. He came here?? Honestly, she didn't really expect him to. But she was all the more happy to see him. Raising her hand, she was about to wave to the old soldier in invitation to join them here beneath the palm trees if he wanted, but then faltered when she saw Jada approaching him and talking to him.

Tess smiled and couldn't help but be a little nosy and observe the pair. It was known that their styles of duty had clashed extremely, but Tess would love to see a friendly goodbyes of them.

The Deltan offered Tess a slight shrug in response to the medical officer's reason for switching careers.  "That makes sense.  Well congratulations anyway" she said.  Then she turned back the to other conversation.

-

Zex laughed aloud.  Snorted.  Then covered her mouth in embarrassment.  "You're top funny" she said by way of praise to the Orion.

When watched carefully when Jada pointed out the items and name them.   She knew right away that she didn't want any of the alive ones.  But the offer stuff she would try.

"Good fortune to you too, Jada.  You take care" she said.  Had Zex known Jada longer she would have offered the Orion a hug - but she didn't think they were there yet - so she remained seated.

Species:  Betazoid/Vulcan.
Being kind to others costs nothing & builds a stronger community.

Jada

[Arboretum, Deck 18]

When Jada moved to hug her, Tess wrapped her arms around the Orion with a sad smile. "You take care of yourself, okay?", she whispered in her ear only for her to hear before she let go of her. Giving her another warm smile, Tess nodded. "Good-bye, Jada."

'I will. And I know you'll take care of all of them.' Jada returned to Tess with sad smile. She nodded and said goodbyes to Zex and the others before slipping away.
Quote from: John Saxon on May 31, 2020, 09:10:24 AM

And with the other hand, realising a little too late she had the tray in both of hers to awkwardly retract it now, he extended into offering a handshake. "Jada" he said as softly as the background noise would allow. "Thank you for everything you've given to the service. To us all." And he meant it. Her style was not his style. He knew he was an old school soldier, a product of his many years. And despite his misgivings - if he were being charitable in using the term - she really had been an superb addition to the team.

Jada relaxed, relieved, the tension and dread she'd felt dissipating. There was no more friction and conflict, at least not today, and she was thankful for that. 'Thank you, sir. That does meant a lot to me.' she said, shifting the tray to balance in the crook of her left arm so she could shake Century Saxon's hand with her right. 'I wish I could give more, but it wouldn't be what I need to be giving right now.' she said, realising it sounded too cryptic, but it was right. She needed to do something different from what she needed to do here. 'So, how's the slug?'

Rayek trLhoell

NPC Phara t'Movel

Phara nodded at Tess' willingness to follow proper Romulan custom.  "I'm so very pleased. Lared's mother has connections and I'm certain she can be convinced to assist with the registry. So don't you worry, by the time the baby arrives all will be in order."

Talk for a brief while touched on how Tess became Executive Officer.  Rumor had abounded among the civilian component of the station that first month.  Phara politely didn't look at the discomfited pregnant women though she did certainly listen in hoping to get confirmation of gossip and rumor.  But Tess was vague - and rightly so, Phara supposed.  It was no ones business really.

At the explanation of what a baby shower was, Phara was a little surprised but she supposed such a thing was necessary since families - at least from what she'd seen thus far on the station - tended to be just the immediate generation. Mother, Father, children - if any at all.   The previous generation did not live with the family unit and siblings did not live under the same roof once they were adults.

So it was she supposed only to be expected that the family didn't have what was needed for child rearing since they had to obtain it all themselves rather than using the extended families resources.  She also figured that having access to replicators made the passing on of older items a little less desirable... otherwise she might have offered up some of Jinsux' infant outfits if the baby was a boy.

[Arboretum, Deck 18]

Phara nodded appreciatively at all the work Jada and her fellow Orions had gone through to arrange this.   "I'll be sure to stop by the line one last time to thank them.  This has been absolutely wonderful."

Phara nodded, smiling at Jada's farewell.  "Good hunting to you as well, Jada.  I'm glad we got chance to meet."

She watched a moment while Jada and Tess hugged before politely giving the friends a bit of privacy by looking away.

A passing glimpse of her youngest daughter playing amongst the trees reminded Phara of her youngest boy who was still at home with his grandmother.  She sighed.  "Sadly, we too much be on our way.  Karinne can only deal with Jinsux for so long before he becomes too irksome for her."

She reluctantly stood and gave a slight bow to Zex.  "It was so nice meeting you. If you ever need any tailoring done.. do stop by my shop." She reached into her shoulder bag and handed the diplomatic officer a business card for 'Movel Uniform Care and Repair'.

She turned then to Tess smiling.  "I'm so glad to have finally met you more than just in passing.  I will contact you soon..  about getting together for a dinner with our family. Jolan'tru Tess."

She turned to her husband nodding that she was ready to leave.

Mrht Heis'he ehl'ein qiuu
Rayek's BIO : Romulan male. 6'1" (1.8m)

John Saxon

[Arboretum, Deck 18]

Quote from: Jada on June 01, 2020, 12:09:10 AM

Jada relaxed, relieved, the tension and dread she'd felt dissipating. There was no more friction and conflict, at least not today, and she was thankful for that. 'Thank you, sir. That does meant a lot to me.' she said, shifting the tray to balance in the crook of her left arm so she could shake Century Saxon's hand with her right. 'I wish I could give more, but it wouldn't be what I need to be giving right now.' she said, realising it sounded too cryptic, but it was right. She needed to do something different from what she needed to do here. 'So, how's the slug?'

John knew there was little more to add to the drama of the occasion and so wisely didn't comment further on her mind-set. They both knew. And they probably both knew the other knew. But Saxon was too long in the tooth not to have seen this in others numerous times before. In many ways, those stepping away from the requirements of the Service were braver than he; he had had plenty of past opportunities to forge a new direction, a new career,  for himself, but as the decades reached 5 it was clear the chance had passed. Now he was truly in it for life. Until the other thing.

Firmly shaking her - thankfully reciprocated - hand he merely nodded kindly in understanding then released, to respond to her query on the cuisine. As predicted, it was hot. Tasty yet scorching. But perhaps other than a slight reddening, which didn't do his elderly, weathered, leathery complexion any harm, there was no outward sign of the Scoville challenge his palate was overcoming. "Dhlishioush" he rolled out, trying not to speak with his mouth full but also not in any rush to swallow.

Oh yes, a trip to the Medical Centre for antacids might be in order sometime later.

Tess tLhoell

Quote from: Rayek trLhoell on June 01, 2020, 03:24:49 AM

NPC Phara t'Movel

Phara nodded at Tess' willingness to follow proper Romulan custom.  "I'm so very pleased. Lared's mother has connections and I'm certain she can be convinced to assist with the registry. So don't you worry, by the time the baby arrives all will be in order."

In that moment, Tess was not fully aware of what that actually meant. Right now, she was just too excited for it. "Thank you, Phara", she smiled at the woman.
Quote from: Rayek trLhoell on June 01, 2020, 03:24:49 AM

Talk for a brief while touched on how Tess became Executive Officer.  Rumor had abounded among the civilian component of the station that first month.  Phara politely didn't look at the discomfited pregnant women though she did certainly listen in hoping to get confirmation of gossip and rumor.  But Tess was vague - and rightly so, Phara supposed.  It was no ones business really.

At the explanation of what a baby shower was, Phara was a little surprised but she supposed such a thing was necessary since families - at least from what she'd seen thus far on the station - tended to be just the immediate generation. Mother, Father, children - if any at all.   The previous generation did not live with the family unit and siblings did not live under the same roof once they were adults.

So it was she supposed only to be expected that the family didn't have what was needed for child rearing since they had to obtain it all themselves rather than using the extended families resources.  She also figured that having access to replicators made the passing on of older items a little less desirable... otherwise she might have offered up some of Jinsux' infant outfits if the baby was a boy.

Phara nodded appreciatively at all the work Jada and her fellow Orions had gone through to arrange this.   "I'll be sure to stop by the line one last time to thank them.  This has been absolutely wonderful."
Phara nodded, smiling at Jada's farewell.  "Good hunting to you as well, Jada.  I'm glad we got chance to meet."

She watched a moment while Jada and Tess hugged before politely giving the friends a bit of privacy by looking away.

A passing glimpse of her youngest daughter playing amongst the trees reminded Phara of her youngest boy who was still at home with his grandmother.  She sighed.  "Sadly, we too much be on our way.  Karinne can only deal with Jinsux for so long before he becomes too irksome for her."

She reluctantly stood and gave a slight bow to Zex.  "It was so nice meeting you. If you ever need any tailoring done.. do stop by my shop." She reached into her shoulder bag and handed the diplomatic officer a business card for 'Movel Uniform Care and Repair'.

She turned then to Tess smiling.  "I'm so glad to have finally met you more than just in passing.  I will contact you soon..  about getting together for a dinner with our family. Jolan'tru Tess."

She turned to her husband nodding that she was ready to leave.

Everyone seemed to have to go now, so Tess decided she should go back to duty too. Well, she would, if she could get up. Even with 'only' 5 months pregnant belly, it was not so easy to get up from a sitting position on the floor.

Lared stepped forward and offered her his hand. "Let me help you", he said softly.

Tess looked up into the friendly face of the Romulan man and with his help was quickly on her feet. "Hann'yyo", (*Thank you), she smiled. Looking to Phara, Tess nodded her head. "It was nice meeting you, too. All of you." She glanced towards Lared and Zex and then back to Phara. "I'm looking forward to it!"

Lared looked back at his wife and Tess walked out with them before they parted ways in the corridor.

Species: Ba'ku
"You explore the universe. We've found that a single moment in time can be a universe in itself."
Tess' biography (updated Nov 14th, 2020) - Previous name: Tess Moreno

Jada

[Arboretum, Deck 18]

Quote from: John Saxon on June 01, 2020, 06:54:06 AM

John knew there was little more to add to the drama of the occasion and so wisely didn't comment further on her mind-set. They both knew. And they probably both knew the other knew. But Saxon was too long in the tooth not to have seen this in others numerous times before. In many ways, those stepping away from the requirements of the Service were braver than he; he had had plenty of past opportunities to forge a new direction, a new career,  for himself, but as the decades reached 5 it was clear the chance had passed. Now he was truly in it for life. Until the other thing.

Firmly shaking her - thankfully reciprocated - hand he merely nodded kindly in understanding then released, to respond to her query on the cuisine. As predicted, it was hot. Tasty yet scorching. But perhaps other than a slight reddening, which didn't do his elderly, weathered, leathery complexion any harm, there was no outward sign of the Scoville challenge his palate was overcoming. "Dhlishioush" he rolled out, trying not to speak with his mouth full but also not in any rush to swallow.

'Oh great.' said Jada with a pleased grin. 'Now, would you like a really hot one?' She opened one of her jars and released a pair of live wing-slugs, sticky with spicy sauce, that buzzed and bobbed through the air between them. With a gulp, Jada leaned forward and caught one in her mouth, chewed and swallowed. She breathed out hard, flushed orange, but not especially debilitated.

'So, I'll be returning to Holcomb's Planet,' she began, referring to a long-established Federation world (a.k.a. Space Florida) by the Orion border, and where her personnel record said she was a citizen. 'I'm looking at positions in planetary defence, the ecological ranger service, and the police force. We need some more good cops around.' she said emphatically. Why was she telling him this? Because she still wanted his approval and understanding. By its very nature, duty was the hardest thing in space to give up, and she wanted to show she wasn't giving it up, just focusing it elsewhere. 'I need to protect peace.'

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made production intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.